Awesome FEniCS list

There’s a long tradition of creating “awesome” lists for projects where people could put links to various third party programs, libraries, materials etc. ([1], [2], [3]). I think it would be great to have a FEniCS list. It would serve as a source of real world examples for new users and help promoting projects.

Creating such a list would require:

1. Create a list repo on FEniCS Project · GitHub
  2. Put contribution call banners at https://fenicsproject.org/ and https://fenicsproject.discourse.group/
  3. Maybe announce it at FEniCS conference
  4. With time add it to the list of awesome lists GitHub - sindresorhus/awesome: 😎 Awesome lists about all kinds of interesting topics
6 Likes

We have discussed this in the past, and the typical barriers are:

• Responsibility / accountability for packages which are no longer maintained (and typically broken)
  • Judgement of what an “awesome” project would be
  • The necessary effort to maintain such a list, given most of us are motivated by scientific research

Nevertheless I’ll float the idea again, along with your suggestions, when the steering council next meet.

Responsibility / accountability for packages which are no longer maintained (and typically broken)

Even if project doesn’t work with current version of FEniCS, weak formulations still hold true (assuming that they are correct). IMHO in most scientific applications documentation and validation is more valuable then the actual code. So, I would say that “awesome” project is primarily a well documented project.

For example, in my project I’ve added a detailed derivation of governing equations and validation data so when code no longer maintained project may still be useful.

Is there a list of Fenics software projects except the demos in Github?
It would be a nice opportunity to 1) share the own code such that others can reuse it and 2) learn from code that is doing similar stuff, which is usually extremely helpful when working with fenics.