Error in installation of Fenics for Ubuntu 20.04

Hello, everyone !
I have installed fenics as per website from https://launchpad.net/~fenics-packages/+archive/ubuntu/fenics .

After installation, I got following errors (for python 3.8)

Can anyone help me to solve this issue ?

Note the reference to /usr/local/. That’s an indication that you haven’t installed fenics as per the website. You’ve got an incompatible local installation of ffc, probably installed via pip.

I have unistalled fenics from the pip and install again by following commands

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fenics-packages/fenics
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fenics

but it shows the same error (but this time, installation is done in /usr/lib/)

I can’t reproduce the problem on a fresh installation of Ubuntu 20.04 (focal).

The error message that you’re getting is one that I might expect to see if there is a mismatch in the package versions, for instance if you’ve installed the most recent version of ufl, which is not compatible with old dolfin.

What are your fenics package versions?

dpkg -l "*fenics*" "*fiat*" "*ufl*" "*dijitso*" "*ffc*" "*dolfin*" "*mshr*" | cat

Have you checked the contents of /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/ to confirm there are no other locally installed modules? Also check your local user installation under ~/.local

I removed fenics and other files related fenics to avoid different version problems. Then, I again installed the fenics as per previous 4 commands. Now, I am checking fenics installation by importing fenics, as per following

But, it shows " Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" during entering the “import fenics” command…

Ref Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key - #3 by dparsons

1 Like