How to properly install FEniCS on Google Colab?

Hi,
First I tried to install FEniCS on google colab with the instructions provided on FEniCS website, it did not work. Then I did a google search and found this google colab notebook
But it does not work either. It gives me the error

ImportError: No module named fenics

Could somebody please provide a working google colab notebook?
Thanks

See Installing FEniCS from ppa on Colab - #10 by fballarin

I cannot join the FEniCS slack channel as said in the post you are referring to since I do not have email address ending with domains required by slack channel mentioned in that post. In registration page, it is also mentioned that

Don’t have an email address from one of those domains?
Contact the workspace administrator at fenicsproject for an invitation.

I guess somebody should share the workaround/solution here so I can finally install FEniCS on Google Colab or probably tell me who is the workspace administrator of FEniCS project :thinking:

Could you send me a private message with your email and I’ll get in touch with one of the adminstrators.

1 Like

Indeed, I found a way to get invitation link. Thanks anyways.

Is there any solution for this issue ?

Dear all,
in the last few weeks we have been working towards a better and more sustainable packaging of the former Colab workaround, that was posted a few months ago on the #colab channel on slack.

You may find the results of such effort at https://fem-on-colab.github.io/ . FEniCS, FEniCSx and firedrake are now supported. In case of technical issues feel free to leave your feedback on our github page.

The files associated to the former workaround will not be deleted, so it will continue working (at least until the next Colab upgrade :wink: )

Cheers,
Francesco

3 Likes