Mshr can't import Circle

Hey there,

I don’t know what happened, but my mshr installation doesn’t work anymore. I reinstalled mshr from source but the error remains.

>>> from mshr import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mshr/__init__.py", line 24, in <module>
       from .cpp import Circle
ImportError: libdolfin.so.2017.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I’m not sure why it references libdolfin.so.2017.2, because if I check my dolfin version by dolfin-version, I get 2018.1.0

Did you install mshr from source in the /usr directory? I see you have the file /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mshr/__init__.py. That’s usually where package managers install its packages, so it is not a good idea to use this directory for packages built from source. Did you install the rest of the FEniCS packages also from source?

Hey,
thanks for the quick answer. mshr is installed at ~/. FEniCS is installed via Ubuntu packages.

I’m not an experienced Linux user, so excuse please any mistakes or easy to solve problems, where I’m lacking of experience.

Kind regards

I updated the FEniCS package to 2019.1.0. mshr works now again. I guess in 2019 mshr is included in the FEniCS package?

Yes, mshr is included when you install the fenics package from the PPA.