Pde coupled to an algebraic system through boundary equations

Dear all,

I am pretty new to Fenics although I have a sense of what it is capable, somehow it looks similar to Comsol.
I would like to solve the Poisson-Boltzmann equation coupled to an algebraic system of equilibrium chemical reactions.
In Comsol I think it should be possible by using the “electrostatic” and the “boundary ODEs and DAEs” built-in physics.
I would like to know if such thing is also possible in Fenics. I have seen in the tutorials that the Poisson-Boltzmann (“Fundamentals: Solving the Poisson equation”). Is there another tutorial to couple AEs on the boundaries? Is it possible to do? how?

Thanks

Best regards,
Dani

What have you tried so far? FEniCS is a general tool for the approximation of PDEs by the finite element method. It’s not a commercial black box like Comsol. It’s almost certain you can achieve what you want with FEniCS; however, you will have to put in the work.

Thanks, so far I just wanted to know if it is possible. My idea would be to build first the model in Comsol, and then in Fenics using Comsol as a reference for comparison.

1 Like