Problem with Mixed-dimensional branch - RuntimeError: Unable to define mixed linear variational problem a(u, v) == L(v) for all v

Hello,
I’m currently try to solve the system of coupled PDEs. More precisely, it is the model of the thermoelastic euler-bernoulli beam defined on the 2-dimensional plate.

The heat distribution is described by the heat equation:

\rho c_p \frac{\partial T(x,z,t)}{\partial t} -\lambda \Delta T(x,z,t) = -kz \frac{\partial^{2} \partial u}{\partial x^{2} \partial t} \hspace{2cm} \ \, (x,y) \in (0,L) \times (-\frac{h}{2},\frac{h}{2})
BCs: \hspace{0.5cm}\frac{\partial T(0,z,t)}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial T(L,z,t)}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial T(x,h/2,t)}{\partial x} = 0, \ \, \, T(x,-h/2,t) = T_R+T_At
ICs: \hspace{0.75cm}T(x,z,0) = 0

The equation for the bending of the plate is giving as follows:
\rho A \frac{\partial^2 u (x,t)}{\partial t^2} + E I \Delta^2 u(x,t) + \gamma \frac{\partial^{2} \hat{T}}{\partial x^{2}} = 0 \hspace{0.5cm} x \in (0,L)
BCs: \hspace{0.5cm} u(0,t) = u(L,t) = 0, \ EI \Delta u(0,t) = EI\Delta u(L,t) = 0
ICs: \hspace{0.5cm} u(z,0) = 0, \hspace{0.5cm} \dot{u}(x,0) = 0 \hspace{5.2cm}

With integral kernel defined as follows \hat{T}(x,z,t) = \int_{-\frac{h}{2}}^{\frac{h}{2}}z T(x,z,t) \, dz .
Here are \rho, A, \gamma, \kappa, c_p, E, I, \lambda arbitrary constants.

Since I am quite new in the matter of discretization of PDEs with FEM. I follow the examples of the solving the heat equation https://fenicsproject.org/pub/tutorial/html/._ftut1006.html and the biharmonic equation https://fenicsproject.org/olddocs/dolfin/1.5.0/cpp/demo/documented/biharmonic/cpp/documentation.html.

Following this examples and using the central difference for time discretization I attempted to solve this problem by employing the (I think) equivalent weak formulation for the heat equation:

a(u,w) = \rho c_p \int_{\Omega}T^{n+1}w \, d \Omega + dt \lambda \int_{\Omega} (\frac{\partial T^{n+1}}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial T^{n+1}}{\partial z})\frac{\partial w}{\partial x} d\Omega - \kappa z \int_{\Omega} \frac{\partial u^{n+1}}{\partial x} \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} d \Omega

L(v) = \rho c_p \int_{\Omega} T^n w \, d \Omega - \kappa z \int_{ \Omega}\frac{\partial u^n}{\partial x} \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} \, d \Omega

and also for the beam equation:

a(u,w) = \rho A \int_{0}^{L} u^{n+1}v \, dx + dt^2 E I \int_{0}^{L} \frac{\partial^2 u^{n+1}}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} \,dx - dt^2 \gamma \int_{0}^{L} \frac{\partial \hat{T}^{n+1}}{\partial x} \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \, dx

L(v) = 2 \rho A \int_{0}^{L} u^n v\, dx - \rho A \int_{0}^{L} u^{n-1} v \,dx

Where (u^{n+1},T^{n+1}) are the searched results and the (w,v) are the test functions. Since fenics does not support a C^1 finite elements the expression
the second order derivative expression \int_{0}^{L} \frac{\partial^2 u^{n+1}}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} \,dx is implements using the C^0 Interior Penalty Method.

Due to the fact that the heat equation is defined on 2D and the beam equation on 1D domain I using the mixed-dimensional branch by cecile for coupling fenics-project / DOLFIN / cecile/mixed-dimensional — Bitbucket.

I attempted to implement the coupled problem, unfortunately I encountered a few problems:

1. At first the implementation of the euler-bernoulli equation with the C⁰ Interior Point Method causes an error when assembling. I think the problem lies in the implementation of the stiffnes matrix with C⁰IP Method.

2. My second problem is the formulation of the integral therm \hat{T}(x,z,t) = \int_{-\frac{h}{2}}^{\frac{h}{2}}z T(x,z,t) \, dz in fenics. In the code example i have left it blank. Does anyone have an idea how to implement it?

I’m using the docker container of the mixed-dimensional branch:latest on Linux Ubuntu.

I hope I have not made too many mistakes and expressed it understandably. For any help I am very grateful, thank you.

from fenics import *

###---------------- define mesh --------------###
N = 30
order = 2
x_start = 0
x_end = 1
z_start = -0.1
z_end = 0.1
p1 = Point(x_start,z_start)
p2 = Point(x_end,z_end)

mesh = RectangleMesh(p1, p2, N, N)

marker = MeshFunction("size_t", mesh, mesh.topology().dim()-1, 0)

for e in edges(mesh):
   marker[e] = 0.0 - DOLFIN_EPS < e.midpoint().y() < 0.0 + DOLFIN_EPS

submesh = MeshView.create(marker, 1)

# define function space for the temperature and displacement
Vt = FunctionSpace(mesh, "CG", 1) ## 2D
Vu = FunctionSpace(submesh, "CG", 1) ## 1D

# Define the mixed function space
V = MixedFunctionSpace(Vt,Vu)

# Redefine  integration measure for the beam
dxB = Measure('dx', domain=V.sub_space(1).mesh())
# Redefine interior facets integration measure for the beam
dSB = Measure('dS', domain=V.sub_space(1).mesh())

# define the Dirichlet boundary condition for the heat equation
class Bottom(SubDomain):
    def inside(self, x, on_boundary):
        return near(x[0],z_start) and on_boundary

source = Expression("T_R + T_A*t", T_R=0, T_A=8.0, omega=pi, t=0.0, degree =2)

# impose the dirichlet boundary condition
bc1_t = DirichletBC(V.sub_space(0), source , Bottom())
bcs_t = [bc1_t]

## impose dirichlet BC's for the beam subdomain
# define the boundaries of the beam
class BeamLeft(SubDomain):
        return near(x[0],x_start)

class BeamRight(SubDomain):
        return near(x[0],x_end)

bc1_b = DirichletBC(V.sub_space(1), Constant(0.0), BeamLeft())
bc2_b = DirichletBC(V.sub_space(1), Constant(0.0), BeamRight())
bcs_b = [bc1_b, bc2_b]

bcs = [bc1_t, bc1_b, bc2_b]

# time parameters
Period = 20
Nsteps = 100
dt = Constant(Period/Nsteps)

# define the test and trialfunction
(w,v) = TestFunctions(V)
(T,u) =  TrialFunctions(V)

# intialize the initial temperature
T_n = Function(V.sub_space(0))

# initialize the intial deflection u_n
u_n = Function(V.sub_space(1))
u_prev = Function(V.sub_space(1))

# weak formulation of the heat equation
a_heat = inner(T,w) * dx +  dt * inner(nabla_grad(T), nabla_grad(w)) * dx -  inner(grad(u),grad(v))*dxB
L_heat = dt * inner(nabla_grad(T_n),nabla_grad(w)) * dx +  inner(div(grad(u_n)), v)*dxB

Th = Function(V, name = "Temperature")

T_hat = Function(V.sub_space(1))

#formulation of the weak form with C⁰IPM
# stiffness form
def k(u, v):
    # Define normal component, mesh size and right-hand side
    h = CellDiameter(submesh)
    h_avg = (h('+') + h('-')) / 2.0
    n = FacetNormal(submesh)
    # Penalty parameter
    sigma = Constant(8.0)
    ex =   inner(div(grad(u)), div(grad(v))) * dxB \
         - inner(avg(div(grad(u))), jump(grad(v), n)) * dSB \
         - inner(jump(grad(u), n), avg(div(grad(v)))) * dSB \
         + sigma('+') / h_avg * inner(jump(grad(u), n), jump(grad(v), n)) * dSB
    return ex

# weak formulation for beam equation
a_beam = inner(u,v)*dxB + dt*dt*k(u,v) #+ \int_{-\frac{h}{2}}^{\frac{h}{2}}z \frac{\partial^{2} T}{\partial x^{2}} \text{dz}
L_beam = 2.0 * inner(u_n,v) * dxB - inner(u_prev,v) * dxB

# merge the heat and beam forms
a_form = a_heat + a_beam
L_form = L_heat + L_beam

# define the solution variable
U = Function(V)

# solve the heat equation for the temperature
solve(a_form==L_form, U, bcs)

And the Error:

RuntimeError:

*** -------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** DOLFIN encountered an error. If you are not able to resolve this issue
*** using the information listed below, you can ask for help at

*** fenics-support@googlegroups.com

*** Remember to include the error message listed below and, if possible,
*** include a minimal running example to reproduce the error.

*** Error: Unable to define mixed linear variational problem a(u, v) == L(v) for all v.
*** Reason: Expecting the left-hand side (block 0, domain 0) to be a bilinear form (not rank 0).
*** Where: This error was encountered inside MixedLinearVariationalProblem.cpp.
*** Process: 0

*** DOLFIN version: 2019.2.0.dev0
*** Git changeset: ed85093177b62be6ae55401b4ec808fa32c0a3f8

Hello,

I have been able to reproduce the error you mention, and the problem comes from the use of dS type integrals in the k(u,v) function. These integrals over interior facets are not supported for mixed-dimensional problems.
What about solving the beam equation first (it seems to me it is independent of the temperature), and then solve the heat equation ?

1 Like

Hello and thank you very much.
Then I have to look for another way to discretize the biharmonic therm.

To your question if I should solve the beam equation first. Unfortunately it does not work. As shown in the attached problem statement, the integral of the second derivative of temperature over the beam height goes into the equation. You are right, in the minimum code example it is not implemented, because I simply have not yet managed (due to lack of knowledge how to do this in fenics). In the reason it would be the next step, after the rough framework stands.

Again, thank you very much. And if anyone has any more ideas on how to approach this problem it would be greatly appreciated.