Using Mixed-Dimensional Branch in Windows 10 Linux Subsystem

Hello,

I am working with FEniCS version 2019.1.0 and I installed it on a Windows 10 subsystem for Linux with an Ubuntu terminal .

I want to make use of the mixed-dimensional branch. However, all the posts I have seen seem to talk about compiling from source or using the docker image:

docker pull ceciledc/fenics_mixed_dimensional

I appreciate this is probably pretty trivial, but how do I access the mixed-dimensional branch if I installed FEniCS through the Ubuntu Personal Package Archives on a Windows 10 subsystem for Linux?

Thank you

Hello,

The mixed-dimensional features are not (yet) in the main branch and then there is no way to access it from the PPA for now. We aim to release this functionality early next year.

I am not familiar with the Windows 10 subsystem for Linux, but as far as I know Docker can be used directly on Windows 10 (more details here).
The Docker image your mention for the mixed-dimensional branch has all you need to make use of these features (it has FEniCS installed with the corresponding branches + dependencies).
So I guess using the Docker container from Windows would be the easiest way.

Hello

I see, thank you very much for such a quick response. I installed FEniCS through the subsystem on the advice of IT support at my university but it’s that long ago that I can’t remember why they suggested doing that. I will look into reinstalling using the Docker container for windows.

Thanks again