Weak form of the Navier-Cauchy equation

Hello! I am trying to obtain the weak form of the Navier-Cauchy equation, which is

- \rho \omega ^2 \textbf{U} - \mu \nabla ^2 \textbf{U} - (\mu + \lambda) \nabla (\nabla \cdot \textbf{U}) = \textbf{F}

and can be written in the component form

-(2 \mu +\lambda) \frac{\partial ^2 U_1}{\partial x_1 ^2} - \mu \frac{\partial ^2 U_1}{\partial x_2 ^2} - (\mu + \lambda) \frac{\partial ^2 U_2}{\partial x_1 \partial x_2} - \rho \omega ^2 U_1 = F_1

-(2 \mu +\lambda) \frac{\partial ^2 U_2}{\partial x_2 ^2} - \mu \frac{\partial ^2 U_2}{\partial x_1 ^2} - (\mu + \lambda) \frac{\partial ^2 U_1}{\partial x_1 \partial x_2} - \rho \omega ^2 U_2 = F_2

The general procedure is to multiply the PDE by a test function \textbf{v} in the space \textbf{V}, or v in the space V, and integrate it over the domain \Omega. I will proceed with the component form, for I believe it is easier for me to understand. Setting \textbf{F} = 0 and rearranging the terms

-(2 \mu +\lambda) \int_\Omega v \left[ \frac{\partial ^2 U_1}{\partial x_1 ^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 U_2}{\partial x_2 ^2} \right]dxdy - \mu \int_\Omega v \left[ \frac{\partial ^2 U_1}{\partial x_2 ^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 U_2}{\partial x_1 ^2} \right]dxdy -(\mu + \lambda)\int_\Omega v \left[ \frac{\partial ^2 U_2}{\partial x_1 \partial x_2} + \frac{\partial ^2 U_1}{\partial x_1 \partial x_2} \right]dxdy - \rho \omega ^2 \int_\Omega v \left[ U_1+U_2 \right]dxdy = 0

From Greenā€™s theorem I know that
\int_{\Omega} \left(v \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x ^2} \right)dxdy = \int_\Gamma \left(vu\hat{n}_x \right)ds - \int_{\Omega} \left( \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right)dxdy

Which is sufficient to deal with the first and second integrals. However, I do not know how to proceed with the cross derivatives \partial ^2 / \partial x_1 \partial x_2 of the third integral. Can someone help me with this?

I find it easier to think about this by recognizing that

-\mu\nabla^2\mathbf{U} - (\mu + \lambda)\nabla(\nabla\cdot\mathbf{U}) = -\nabla\cdot\pmb{\sigma}\text{ ,}

where

\pmb{\sigma} = \lambda(\nabla\cdot\mathbf{U})\mathbf{I} + 2\mu\operatorname{sym}(\nabla\mathbf{U})\text{ .}

Then you can use the following integration-by-parts identity:

-\int_\Omega(\nabla\cdot\pmb{\sigma})\cdot\mathbf{v}\,d\mathbf{x} = \int_\Omega \pmb{\sigma}:\nabla\mathbf{v}\,d\mathbf{x} - \int_{\partial\Omega}(\pmb{\sigma}\mathbf{n})\cdot\mathbf{v}\,d\mathbf{s}\text{ ,}

where the boundary term is often left out, to weakly enforce the traction-free boundary condition, \pmb{\sigma}\mathbf{n} = \mathbf{0}.

If that integration-by-parts identity is confusing, I wrote up a series of exercises to guide students through its derivation, which can be found in an appendix of the ā€œmathematical backgroundā€ notes from my graduate course (although, for those stumbling on this link in the far future, I will likely rearrange that page over subsequent iterations of the course, starting in a month or two).

3 Likes

Thank you very much for showing this identity @kamensky! Iā€™ll be sure to read through the notes you wrote too. In order for me to write this on FEniCS, Iā€™d like to hear from you if Iā€™m guessing it right. I believe I should thus solve the following problem

- \int_\Omega (\rho \omega ^2 \mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{U})d \mathbf{x} -\int_\Omega(\nabla\cdot\pmb{\sigma})\cdot\mathbf{v}\,d\mathbf{x} = 0

which becomes

\int_{\Omega} (-\rho \omega ^2 \mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{U} + \pmb{\sigma}:\nabla\mathbf{v} )\,d\mathbf{x} = \int_{\partial\Omega}(\pmb{\sigma}\mathbf{n})\cdot\mathbf{v}\,d\mathbf{s}\text{ .}

Is this right?

Yes, that looks right. A helpful reference might be @bleyerjā€™s tutorial here. (If youā€™re wondering about the discrepancy between the gradient of \mathbf{v} in my post above vs. symmetric gradient of \mathbf{v} in k_form from the tutorial, note that, because \pmb{\sigma} is symmetric, \pmb{\sigma}:\operatorname{sym}(\nabla\mathbf{v}) = \pmb{\sigma}:\nabla\mathbf{v}.)

1 Like

Did you ask the exact same question in SciComp.Exchange? If so, please provide a link next time so people know and efforts are not doubled.

Yes I did @nicoguaro, and I was planning to write about it here, but I havenā€™t had the time to test both answers in FEniCS yet. Iā€™ll share the link anyway.
I donā€™t see why ā€˜doubling effortsā€™ is a problem though. Both @kamensky and the user who answered me in Sci. Comp. Exchange provided me with valuable answers, which might be equivalent, but I could not figure it out by myself at first sight.

From your perspective is not a problem. But from the perspective of the person that invest some time to answer you it might. I am just saying that letting the community know is good so they can check what have been answered and decide after that.

Hello again. So, now I had the time to put it all together in a code. As pointed out by @nicoguaro, I have posted the same question in another forum, which led me to a different variational formulation than the one from this thread.

In order to test both of them, I set up a simulation where there is a Dirac delta function in the middle of the domain (it may not be best approach though), and see if the results are identical.

From the answer provided in this link, I derived another variational formulation:
\int_{\Omega} \left[ (2 \mu + \lambda) (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{U}) \nabla \cdot \mathbf{v} - \rho \omega^2 \mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{v} \right] d \Omega = \int_{\partial \Omega} \left[ (2 \mu + \lambda) (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{U}) \mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{n} \right]dS

I wrote, where g = (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{U}) \mathbf{n} = 0

from fenics import *
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

#Mesh parameters
nx = 100
ny = 100
x_1, y_1 = [-1, -1]
x_2, y_2 = [1, 1]

#Material properties
omega = 1
E, nu = Constant(1e5), Constant(0.)
rho = Constant(1e-3)
mu = E/2./(1+nu)
lmbda = E*nu/(1+nu)/(1-2*nu)

#mesh and function space
mesh = RectangleMesh(Point(x_1, y_1), Point(x_2, y_2), nx, ny, "crossed")
V = VectorFunctionSpace(mesh, 'CG', 1)

#boundary conditions
u0 = Constant((0.0, 0.0))
bc = DirichletBC(V, u0, "on_boundary")

u = TrialFunction(V)
v = TestFunction(V)
#==================================================================
g = Constant((0.0, 0.0))

a = div(u)*div(v)*(2*mu + lmbda)*dx - rho*omega*omega*inner(u,v)*dx
L = (2*mu + lmbda)*inner(g,v)*ds
A, b = assemble_system(a, L, bc)

u = Function(V)
A, b = assemble_system(a, L, bc)
delta = PointSource(V, Point(0., 0.),1)
delta.apply(b)
solve(A, u.vector(), b)

plot(u)
plt.show()

which gives

Although it resembles what I was expecting, Iā€™m not 100% convinced by this result.

Now, from @kamenskyā€™s answer and following some instructions from the above-mentioned tutorial I wrote, where T = \mathbf{\sigma \cdot n} = 0

#=================================================================
#Delta Dirac Function
class Delta(UserExpression):
    def __init__(self, eps, x0, **kwargs):
        self.eps = eps
        self.x0 = x0
        UserExpression.__init__(self, **kwargs) 
    def eval(self, values, x):
        eps = self.eps
        values[0] = eps/pi/(np.linalg.norm(x-self.x0)**2 + eps**2)
        values[1] = 0

def value_shape(self): return (2, )

T = Constant((0.0, 0.0))
sigma = 2.0*mu*sym(grad(v)) + lmbda*tr(sym(grad(v)))*Identity(v.geometric_dimension())
delta = Delta(eps=1E-4, x0=np.array([0., 0.]), degree=5)

a = (inner(sigma, grad(v)) - rho*omega*omega*inner(u,v))*dx
L = inner(T,v)*ds + inner(delta, v)*dx

u = Function(V)
solve(a == L, u, bc)
plot(u)
plt.show()

Unfortunately, plugging this bit to the main code gives the error message TypeError: cannot unpack non-iterable bool object
what could it be?

Any comments on my approach are much appreciated!

As for your error, itā€™s here

Your bilinear form isnā€™t correct due to sigma being evaluated on the test function, and not the trial function. Consider changing the v in your expression of sigma to a u or equivalently make it a lambda function, and then call on u

sigma = lambda v: 2.0*mu*sym(grad(v)) + lmbda*tr(sym(grad(v)))*Identity(v.geometric_dimension())
a = (inner(sigma(u), grad(v)) - rho*omega*omega*inner(u,v))*dx

As for the variational formulation, I may need to take a look more carefully.

1 Like

Brilliant @bhaveshshrimali, your suggestion did the trick. Please, take a look at the right square in this figure:

What intrigues me the most is the amplitude of the delta function. In the left itā€™s 3.6e+6, whereas in the right itā€™s 3.4e-7. I was expecting it to be 1 in both cases instead.

Anyway, if you would take a look at the variational formulation, that would be great. If not, I believe I should stick to the formulation with the stress tensor \sigma.