Error in solution of XDMF along mesh partition

Hello,

I’ve been running larger simulations on an HPC machine and noticed errors along the mesh partition interfaces, see

At each time step, I append the solution to an existing xdmf file

with io.XDMFFile(domain.comm, filename,'w') as xdmf:
    xdmf.write_mesh(domain)

via

with io.XDMFFile(domain.comm, filename,'a') as xdmf:
        xdmf.write_function(U_n, t_n)

If it’s helpful, U_n is a vector function space of size 4. The mesh domain is generated in the same python script with gmsh. In trying to debug, I came across this post that has a similar feature. I followed the marked solution to ensure that my interior mesh is indeed connected.

Has anyone else seen this before? I’ve been unsuccessful in reproducing this with a manageable/MWE, but I will keep trying.

Thank you.

Without a minimal example, its hard to give guidance. How long is your current m mmcode?

It can be stripped down to about 400 lines of code. The image I posted is the result of the first time step.

Looks like a scatter_forward issue to me. Are you familiar with the concept of ghost cells ? Do you currently update them at every step ?

Also ALWAYS check your mesh, especially if you automated its generation a lot. Many things can be explained by a topological defect produced by a Voronoi-like algorithm

2 Likes

I would suggest posting the code, as @hawkspar says, it is most likely a ghost update issue.

Thank you @hawkspar and @dokken. I am hesitant to post the full code but have narrowed down my problem code to an auxiliary solve of the Poisson equation, the solution of which I use in my weak form solve at each time step. In implementing this, I followed https://github.com/FEniCS/dolfinx/blob/main/python/demo/demo_stokes.py as closely as possible.

The code is:

def PoissonSolve(domain, uM, dt, n):

# define finite element space
    P1 = ufl.FiniteElement("Lagrange", domain.ufl_cell(), 1)
    W = fem.FunctionSpace(domain, P1)

# test function, trial solution
    psi = ufl.TrialFunction(W)
    w = ufl.TestFunction(W)

# weak form
    lhs = -ufl.inner(ufl.grad(psi), ufl.grad(w)) *ufl.dx

rhs =  ufl.inner(uM, ufl.grad(w))*ufl.dx
    rhs += ufl.inner(ufl.dot(uM, n), w)*ufl.ds
    a = fem.form(lhs)
    L =fem.form( rhs)

# Assemble LHS matrix and RHS vector
    A = fem.petsc.assemble_matrix(a)
    A.assemble()
    b = fem.petsc.assemble_vector(L)
    b.ghostUpdate(addv=PETSc.InsertMode.ADD, mode=PETSc.ScatterMode.REVERSE)

nullspace = PETSc.NullSpace().create(constant=True)
    A.setNullSpace(nullspace)

# Create and configure solver
    ksp = PETSc.KSP().create(domain.comm)
    ksp.setOperators(A)
    ksp.setType("preonly")

# Configure MUMPS to handle nullspace
    pc = ksp.getPC()
    pc.setType("lu")
    pc.setFactorSolverType("mumps")
    pc.setFactorSetUpSolverType()
    pc.getFactorMatrix().setMumpsIcntl(icntl=24, ival=1)
    pc.getFactorMatrix().setMumpsIcntl(icntl=25, ival=0)

# Compute the solution
    U = fem.Function(W)

ksp.solve(b, U.vector)
    psi = U

return psi

And after the mention of scatter_forward, I do see that I b.ghostUpdate(addv=PETSc.InsertMode.ADD, mode=PETSc.ScatterMode.REVERSE), and never put it back forward. With that, I don’t know where is appropriate to scatter_forwarad with setting the constant nullspace.

You need to call scatter forward after you have solved the problem, as done in:
https://jsdokken.com/dolfinx-tutorial/chapter2/heat_code.html?highlight=scatter#solving-the-time-dependent-problem

Wow, thank you. I can’t believe I missed that. I was looking around the forum a bit more - do I also need nullspace = PETSc.NullSpace().create(constant=True, comm=domain.comm)? Or is that done implicitly?

You should create the null space, and remove it from the rhs vector if you solve a singular problem with a direct solver. See:

I’m sorry, I was referring to comm=domain.comm in the call
nullspace = PETSc.NullSpace().create(constant=True, comm=domain.comm)
as opposed to not including comm=domain.comm, which I was doing before:
nullspace = PETSc.NullSpace().create(constant=True) ← no comm=

As long as the space is the constant space, i dont think it matters. It would be relevant for non-constant nullspaces, or if you use other comms than comm_world when you define the domain.

1 Like