Fluid Structure Interaction with FEniCS

Hello everyone, has someone any ideas on how to impose a rotational velocity on a body immersed in a channel? The situation is the following: I want to compute the flow pass through the body and make the body moving by a rotation of itself. I’ve implemented the fluid simulation, and I’ve meshed the boundaries of the body, now how can I set this velocity condition on the body? The attached image represent the pressure field, just to show the geometry.

Many thanks in advance

I am not sure this is supported at the moment. Given the symmetry of the domain, would it make any sense to switch to a reference frame on the rotating body and apply the rotation to the cylinder instead? Then you don’t need to move anything because the cylinder is axisymmetric.

Surely the body’s rotation can be imposed via an appropriate boundary condition relative to the reference frame of the volume?

Or perhaps I misunderstand the question, and the rotation is induced by the flow? In which case much more care must be taken. Perhaps see @kamensky’s lecture notes.

Well, I’ve think about that, the problem is that later the geometry will be more complex (adjoint of 4 helices) and not all parts are rotating at the same speed, then this solution cannot be applied.

How can I set a rotating boundary condition in the fluid around the body ? which equation should I write?

1 Like