How suitable is Fenics to solve a problem using cohesive zone model (using interface elements)?

I am trying to solve a delamination problem for a body with an arbitrary geometry. How suitable is Fenics project to solve this problem using a cohesive zone model framework (using interface elements)? My limited understanding from reading the forums suggests creating a mesh for multiple solids with interface elements seems quite complicated using Fenics. Also I do not see CZM being used more often these days. Is it wiser to use the phase-field method? I chose the CZM since it is delamination and my fracture path is well defined already. Also, I realize that ‘my own fea tool’ might be cool idea but quite inefficient. So I am thinking of using Fenics or other opensource c++ based tools. Your thoughts and inputs in this would be useful.

1 Like

Hi, I’m also quite interested in the answer to this question. From what I was able to gather from this forum, this should be achievable using one of the following technique:

• Using a DG formulation, although this can get tricky and not very practical
  • Using Multiphenicsx such as in this example.
  • Using Dolfinx_MPC, although it’s not clear to me how to relate the traction-separation law to one of the implemented constraints.

I still haven’t found or been able to have a simple working example though. If you manage to do it, let me know!