Install dolfinx on Ubuntu server and WSL

Hi everyone!. I would like to know if it’s possible to install dolfinx on a Ubuntu server and in the Linux Subsystem for Windows. I will appreciate if someone could help me.

I don’t know about the Linux Subsystem for Windows, but dolfinx is available for the development version of Ubuntu, see https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dolfinx

An older snapshot is available from the FEniCS PPA, https://launchpad.net/~fenics-packages/+archive/ubuntu/fenics (at some point the PPA will be updated to a newer snapshot)

2 Likes

Hi @dparsons, thank you for your reply. In the moment, I have dolfin installed from ppa in both Ubuntu server and WSL; however, I couldn’t access that older snapshot you mentioned.

@fforteneto, check the instructions on the PPA page:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fenics-packages/fenics
sudo apt-get update 

After that it should be possible to install dolfin-x with

sudo apt-get install fenicsx
1 Like

@dparsons, I tried the commands you suggested and recieve the following message

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package fenicsx

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in the Linux Subsystem for Windows

18.04, that’s Bionic Beaver. Check the supported versions on the PPA via the “View package details” link.

fenicsx is built for fenics 2019.2.0.2. That’s only available for Ubuntu release eoan and focal. i.e. Ubuntu 20.04.

Now I got it! I will check the link. Thank you for your help!

Hi @dparsons, I installed the Ubuntu 20.04 for WSL in my computer and run the command

sudo apt install fenics

I tried to update to fenics 2019.2.0.2 but it says that

fenics is already the newest version (1:2019.1.0.3).

How can I get the latest version?

If you are using windows, then the easiest way to use dolfinx is through docker

Hi @bhaveshshrimali, thank you for your reply! In general, I use Windows to run and test small problems. For bigger problems, I run my simulations remotely in a Ubuntu server (18.04.5 LTS).

Have you tried building dolfinx from source on your Ubuntu server? See for instance, this post

I haven’t tried this yet. It’s possible to build dolfinx from source on Ubuntu 18.04 WSL for Windows?

In principle it should be. I haven’t tried it. Docker, with jupyter lab, on windows 10 works very smoothly for testing snippets.