Mesh plotting in IDEs outside of Jupyter Notebooks

I have been working with FEniCSx in Jupyter Notebooks, but I am looking to switch to an IDE like Spyder so that I have more access to variables lists, etc. I am used to plotting solutions with Pyvista in Jupyter and that works fine. However, when I try to convert the code to work with .py-based IDEs I get errors that crash the kernel.

1. Are there specific libraries that are linked to Jupyter that I would need to download in order to use Pyvista?
  2. Is there a library/interface that is recommended for plotting solution meshes outside of Jupyter Notebooks other than Pyvista? (for context, I am using quad meshes, and from the forum, I saw that there are issues plotting unstructured quad meshes in Matplotlib).

I would really like to be able to plot in real-time (as opposed to saving and visualizing later) as I am still in the debugging phase of model development.

Any help would be appreciated!

I do not know how Spyder does forwarding of GUIs, so I cannot help much with that expect forwarding you to similar questions with answers:

As you observe with the pyvista interface, one simply extracts data that is usable for VTK-based applications. One can in theory use any backend supporting VTK, for instance vedo or VTK itself.

1 Like