Problem with installation of dolfin-x

Hi everyone,
following the instruction on this site: “https://fenicsproject.org/docs/dolfinx/dev/python/installation.html#id6”, I am installing dolfin-x, but there is an error: “The source directory “/home” does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt”.
Basically I have a problem to create a build directory in “cpp/” and so on.
My OS is Linux/Ubuntu . Thank you in advance.

Hi,

The easiest way to install dolfinx is with docker. If you are installing from source, detail the steps till which you have had success. Have you cloned the repository successfully?

Thank you @bhaveshshrimali
I cloned the repository successfully, and now I faced a new error:
… Error…
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:299 (message):
Generation of form files failed:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File ".../dolfinx/cpp/cmake/scripts/generate-form-files.py", line 22, in <module>
  from ffcx.main import main as ffcx_main

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘ffcx’

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “…/dolfinx/cpp/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “…/dolfinx/cpp/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

I am not sure if this error is related to this part of installing C++ core requirements?
FFC-X [build dependency, for ‘ufc.h’ and ‘ufc_geometry.h’ headers]
What’s your idea?
Thanks

As you can see in the link above on installation, there are several components that are required to install dolfinx:

Dependencies

C++ core

Required

Python interface

Below are additional requirements for the Python interface.

Required

1 Like

Thanks @dokken
I think that I can not do this section properly:
FFC-X [build dependency, for ‘ufc.h’ and ‘ufc_geometry.h’ headers]
Is there a way to guide me on how to do this?

As ffc-X is a Python package, you can install it by simply following the install instructions.

If you do not have experience in installing python packages, I would strongly suggest that you use docker,
where you can launch a terminal with dolfinx installed by:

docker run -ti -v $(pwd):/home/shared -w /home/shared/ --rm dolfinx/dolfinx

Dear @dokken, @bhaveshshrimali
Thanks for your kind help. It was difficult for me to install dolfin-x from source. Finally, I installed it with docker. Please let me know if there is any useful reference about quad mesh and its implementation in FEniCS. Thank you in advance.

See for instance: https://github.com/FEniCS/dolfinx/blob/master/python/test/unit/fem/test_fem_pipeline.py for usage. What implementation specifics are you interested in?

Dear @dokken
Thanks for your time. This complete set of demos for dolfin was really helpful to solve any problems:
https://bitbucket.org/fenics-project/dolfin/src/master/python/demo/
Is there a same link for dolfin-x to know how to solve the same issues?
Currently, the most important topic for me is the mentioned link which is about a simple eigenvalue solver:
https://bitbucket.org/fenics-project/dolfin/src/master/python/demo/documented/eigenvalue/demo_eigenvalue.py.rst

I have already installed fenics on my Mac through Anaconda as follows :slight_smile:
conda install -c conda-forge fenics

Do I still need to install ffcx?
If yes, Would please share its code line for Mac with me?

Hi Dr @dokken
I have already installed fenics on my Mac through Anaconda as follows :slight_smile:
conda install -c conda-forge fenics

Do I still need to install ffcx?
If yes, Would please share its code line for Mac with me?

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.
Fenics, consists of several packages, including:

• ufl, ffc, fiat, dolfin
    You have installed fenics with conda, and there installed the packages above.

FEniCSx, the development version and actively maintained version of fenics, consists of the following packages
-ufl, ffcx, basix, dolfinx.

To install these packages, you should follow the installation guidance given in each individual git repository.

I know @garth has been working on a conda recipe for FEniCSx, but I do not know the current state of it.