Support for curved edges

Hello,
Is there any support to deal with triangles with curved edges so as to better approximate circular geometries?
Any help will be welcome
Regards

1 Like

In dolfin 2019 there is some basic curved mesh functionality for tri-6 and tet-10. See, for example, UnitDiscMesh. As far as I’m aware, curved meshes only work in serial.

In dolfin-x there is much better support for curved elements; however, the library is experimental and development and changes are rapid.

Thanks for your answer.

Are you aware of any working example available? The UnitDiscMesh() function does not seem to be working in fenics 2019.1.0.

Try the Poisson disc demo.

Also in one of my projects I’ve used curved elements for the DG discretisation of the Ringleb problem. Code to run here, (horrible) mesh code here, paper here (Section 4.2).

Hi, Im currently working on the higher order meshes in dolfinx. There is a Pull request there (PR 532 https://github.com/FEniCS/dolfinx/pull/532)
adding support for CG 3 triangles. Still working on Getting the parallel computations to work correctly.

To use curved elements in dolfinx, i recommend generating your mesh with Gmsh, Where you can choose second or third order approximationd.

Thanks for your answers!