UserExpression update in next time step gone wrong

Hello,

I’m working on a free surface problem using the ALE method, and so far I’ve been able to update the surface curvature and normal vector by redefining my variational problem at each time step. I apologize as couldn’t figure out how to develop a MWE for this application, so I kindly ask to refer here for the complete code. The code is still being developed, so it is still computationally inneficient (and a little fuzzy). I’m using the fenics tutorial for the navier-stokes equation using the IPCS approach, found here. I have the following stress boundary condition to represent the free passive surface:

Currently I’m redefining the variational problem at each time step using the python function below to apply the boundary condition:

# Interface stress 
def IST(sigma, kappa, n):
    return sigma*kappa*n

The variational formulation becomes

F1 = rho*dot((u - u_n) / k, v)*dx \
    + rho*dot(dot(u_n, nabla_grad(u_n)), v)*dx \
    + inner(TT(U, p_n, mu, I), DD(v))*dx \
    - dot(mu*nabla_grad(U)*n, v)*ds \
    - dot(f, v)*dx \
    + dot(p_n*n, v)*ds
b_int = inner(IST(sigma, kappa, n), v)*ds(surface_marker)
F1 = F1 - b_int

By using this method I generate physically coherent results, such as the velocity field and pressure field of a perturbed interface as described below. The results present a pressure difference due to the surface curvature, expressing the capillarity effects that are expected for this transport problem. The capillary effects will thus induce a fluid displacement in both on the surface and the bulk of the domain.

Velocity field:

Pressure field:

Now i’m trying to implement a UserExpression to be updated at each time step, so that I don’t need to redefine the variational problem for every step of the temporal loop. I’m following this post, in special this solution to implement a UserExpression class. I am also studying this post on how to update time-dependent boundary conditions, as it is also related to my question. I came up to the following class for my problem:

class InterfaceTension(UserExpression):
    def __init__(self, sigma, kappa, n, **kwargs):
        super().__init__(kwargs)
        self.sigma = sigma
        self.kappa = kappa
        self.n = n

def eval(self, values, x):
        values = self.sigma * self.kappa * self.n 

def update(self, t, u):
        self.kappa = kappa
        self.n = n

def value_shape(self):
        return (2,)

Then I instantiate the class by
IST = InterfaceTension(sigma, kappa, n)

The variational form then becomes

F1 = rho*dot((u - u_n) / k, v)*dx \
    + rho*dot(dot(u_n, nabla_grad(u_n)), v)*dx \
    + inner(TT(U, p_n, mu, I), DD(v))*dx \
    - dot(mu*nabla_grad(U)*n, v)*ds \
    - dot(f, v)*dx \
    + dot(p_n*n, v)*ds

b_int = inner(IST, v)*ds(surface_marker)
F1 = F1 - b_int

After solving the problem for the first time-step, I need to update the new curvature and normal vector associated with the surface (inside the time loop):

# inside the temporal loop
kappa, n = curvature(mesh, ds, surface_marker) # see github to access this function
IST.kappa = kappa
IST.n = n

This approach returns a non-physical result, different from the results obtained by using the first approach (redefining the variational problem at each time step):

Velocity field from the second approach:

Pressure field from the second approach:

Does anyone know what can be happening to create this difference between the results obtained using the two approaches? Honestly I have no idea why this is happening. I am very grateful for any insights.

Thanks in advance.

Hello. I switched to a mixed element formulation and got coherent results.Thanks anyway.