Eval in Expression freezes in parallel

Hi, I am trying to compute the gradient of the test function at a point. I use Expression for this and here is the MWE;

from dolfinx.cpp.geometry import determine_point_ownership
from dolfinx.fem import Expression, FunctionSpace
from dolfinx.mesh import create_unit_cube
from mpi4py import MPI
import numpy as np
import ufl 

nx = ny = nz = 10
mesh = create_unit_cube(MPI.COMM_WORLD, nx,ny,nz)
point = np.array([0.5,0.5,0.5])

V = FunctionSpace(mesh, ('CG',1))
gdim = mesh.geometry.dim
num_dofs_x = mesh.geometry.dofmap[0].size  # NOTE: Assumes same cell geometry in whole mesh
t_imap = mesh.topology.index_map(mesh.topology.dim)
num_cells = t_imap.size_local + t_imap.num_ghosts
x_dofs = mesh.geometry.dofmap.reshape(num_cells, num_dofs_x)

_, _, owning_points, cell = determine_point_ownership( mesh._cpp_object, point, 1e-10)
point_ref = np.zeros((len(cell), mesh.geometry.dim), dtype=mesh.geometry.x.dtype)

if len(cell) > 0: # Only add contribution if cell is owned 

cell_geometry = mesh.geometry.x[x_dofs[cell[0]], :gdim]
    cmap = mesh.geometry.cmaps[0]
    x_ref = cmap.pull_back([point[:gdim]], cell_geometry)

n = ufl.as_vector([0,0,1])
    expr = ufl.inner(ufl.grad(ufl.TestFunction(V)), n)
    E = Expression(expr, x_ref)
    d_dphi_j = E.eval(mesh, cell)[0]
else:
    pass

It works perfectly fine in serial, but freezes in parallel? Is is because eval function of Expression is expensive to run?

It freezes as you are not sending in the appropriate MPI communicator to the expression.
Since you are not sending in a communicator (which in your case should be MPI.COMM_SELF, it is using the mesh communicator, thus waiting for a sync step between all processes that never happens. See: dolfinx.fem — DOLFINx 0.7.3 documentation

i.e.

E = Expression(expr, x_ref, comm=MPI.COMM_SELF)

does the trick

Can I ask why MPI.COMM_SELF but not MPI.COMM_WORLD?

MPI.COMM_WORLD is the communicator for all processes that is used when launching a script.
As we do not want to generate code (for assembly and expression evaluation) on all processes, this is done by a single process, and then the hashes for the generated code is distributed to the other processes.

As you are trying to generate code for an expression on only a single process (or a subset of them), the others will never get to the wait/sync command, thus the program is hanging

1 Like