Mapping fields from one mesh to a different mesh

Hi all, I’m doing a thermal stress analysis of an object whose geometry is changing( like Additive manufacturing, adding some stuff to the top as time goes by) and I have solved the u and sigma field based on the previous mesh. Now, the geometry change happened and I need to rebuild the mesh and map the solved fields to the same position in the new mesh (setting the field of new stuff to 0). Besides finding the coordinates of each mesh point and mapping and interpolating them one by one, does anyone know a simpler way?

Thanks in advance!

This is possible on the legacy version (2019):

https://fenicsproject.org/olddocs/dolfin/2019.1.0/python/demos/nonmatching-interpolation/demo_nonmatching-interpolation.py.html

Expectedly, this feature will be present in 0.6.0, check comments by @dokken on this forum.

Thanks for your reply! The nonmatching-interpolation may be only available in the same geometry with different meshes, but my problem’s geometry also changes and doesn’t fit in that method.

To the extent I have tried, it can work with changing geometry too. You need to enable extrapolation as follows:

dolfin.parameters['allow_extrapolation'] = True

Thanks! i will have a try